Friday, September 19, 2008

Christine

Christine
by me

I see myself like her in many ways. My Momma said I started talking after a visit with her when I was a toddler and I never stopped! When I was with her we never ran out of things to talk about.

She read through the whole Bible each year. I will always remember her in a bathrobe with wet hair doing her Bible reading. No matter what was going on, she made time to spend with her Lord. Her deep love for Him was evident in her life, as was her deep love for people. If you asked her to pray for someone or something you could be certain she would.

I get my sweet tooth from her and Grandpa. When I stayed with them we'd have jam with breakfast, cookies and Mountain Dew with lunch, and cake with dinner. Of course there were always long walks in between to burn off all the calories!

She was a hard worker. She was always busy, always doing something. She didn't have a lazy bone in her body! Of course she could also be pursuaded to take a break to play a hand of 42 or to go swimming in the pond, or to take a walk down to the picnic area. She loved to do the work of the Lord, serving Him in church teaching Sunday School and Singing Praises.

I'll never forget her kisses at midnight when we arrived at the property for visits. Homemade icecream and blackberry cobbler, and especially persimmon pudding will remind me of her.

I'll never forget how much she loved Grandpa. The way they smiled at each other, you knew that no matter what, they loved each other. She always took care of him and he took care of her too.

I thank God for my Grandma. She is such a special person. I thank God for the godly example she has been to me. She wasn't perfect, no one is, but you could see Jesus in her life and I want to be like that too.

I am sad that her life on earth has ended, but I am happy for her too, she is with Jesus! I will miss her. I learned when Grandpa died that one of the reasons we are sad when a believer dies is not only that we will miss them until we too are in glory, but that death reminds us of sin. It is because of sin that death is in the world, but Jesus, through His death and resurrection, has overcome death! In that, we can rejoice.

Just before she passed away I told my son, "Grandma is tired and her body doesn't work well anymore, she has lived a good long life and has loved Jesus since she was a little girl, and now she is ready to go home and live with Him forever."

Although her body is dead, Christine is now more alive than she ever was while she was in it. Today, she began a new life in the presence of her Savior.

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then, face to face..."

Grandma, I'll see you when I get home! I hope it will be soon. Come quickly Lord Jesus! Amen.

2 comments:

A Royal Priesthood said...

I'll miss her too and I am so grateful for the example she gave us and all the prayers she lifted up for us!

Erin said...

Hi my name is Erin and your mom sent me this link I hope you don't mind. I have a google identity but not a blogspot blog, beucase of fmaily I use myspace. and becuase of friends I use xanga. alough it doesn't seem to matter I post basically all the same stuff at both just different people see it... Ok I losing my point in this introduction.
You mom mentioned that her MIL was sick and then next I knew she was announcing she had passed I know one of your sisters is getting married and I just felt grief in my heart becuase death never comes at a good time (well for us humans but Its always at just the right time on God's calendar) I prayed for you whole family that God would let you all feel His peace and even though I knew there was going to be grief that your family would actually rejoice that your beloved was in heaven and was know complete and perfect. Reading this blog broght me to tears and was so beautiful I'm sure your grandma is filled with pride and joy at the people you have become and is just praising God that you all have these memories of her and like you said she will see you when you go to Home :-)

Just had to share that I was very touched and I hope you won't mind if I stop by now and again to read your blog.

Have a Blessed Week!