Saturday, September 6, 2008

Up late

I have always been a night person, I've always preferred to stay up late and sleep in late. I have memories from when I worked on the ship of being woken up by the phone in my cabin at 6 AM because I had the morning shift. My little watch alarm wasn't good enough. Even after my first baby was born he and I would sleep in till 10 every morning after staying up till midnight.

When we first moved out to California I was determined to start getting up earlier. I felt like it would be better for the whole family if the day started before noon. When we got our own apartment we started right off getting up at 8 AM. It was a challenge at first but we soon got used to it. Now it is pretty normal to get up at 8.

Though I am used to getting up at a reasonable hour, I still can't seem to get to bed on time! Lately its been Midnight or later before I finally get to sleep. Part of it is that Dh works late most nights, till 10 or 11, and then he gets home, we talk for an hour or two, and then go to sleep. So I wake up at 8 AM (usually at least 2 or 3 of the boys are awake before me), and feel really tired and regret staying up so late the night before.

I think 10 PM would be a much better time to go to bed than Midnight. That way the middle-of-the-night nursings and diaper changes wouldn't be such a big deal, because I have 10 hours in bed. When I only have 7 or 8 hours in bed those interruptions are harder to handle.

You may laugh, 7 or 8 hours, even interrupted sleep, sounds great to you! Well, I know its not great for me. I really need more sleep. 9 hours would seem ideal to me. Having 4 boys really wears a person out!

Dh gets off work at 6 PM this evening, so I think maybe I'll try to make my goal of getting to bed at 10. I don't know what his plans are for tonight but I plan to have supper ready when he gets home and then maybe go on a walk as a family right after we eat and before it gets dark.

Goodnight! er....Goodmorning!

1 comment:

Coffee Mommerz said...

i too am a late night person. i am like you i need more than 7-8 hours in bed. i was so excited the other night when i got 2 three hour strechs of sleep.