Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Thinking about modesty

Modesty has been talked about a lot over the past couple of days in the news and on social media. I have been thinking about it for a few days longer than that recently though and thought I'd share some of my thoughts.

I have kind of swung back and forth over the years between being very conservative in my dress and being more relaxed (?not sure if that's the right word). For a while I wouldn't wear shorts of any length, now I do but they are longer than my fingertips when my arm is hanging at my side. For a while I thought it was fine to wear even short shorts as long as it was just around the house. Now I think that its better not to. For a while I felt that I should always wear skirts or dresses, now I don't feel that way.

I do think that it is important to dress appropriately for the occasion. I think this is a very important part of modesty. I would not wear my modest, covers-everything-up bathing suit to go grocery shopping or to church! Nor would I wear my ankle length skirt to go out and mow the lawn in.

Some things I am strict about. No one should ever be able to see down my shirt. I try to wear shirts and blouses that make that impossible or at least highly unlikely. No one should every see my belly! Even if I was in good shape I would keep my middle covered! No skin tight clothes here either. No short shorts or short skirts. I do have some "shorter" dresses but they are not super short.

I have been thinking more about modesty lately because my sons are getting older. I want to model modesty for them so that they know what is appropriate. I want them to know when they need to avert their eyes when they are in public and see a girl/woman immodestly dressed. I also want them to seek a modest wife as they get older. Not someone who wants to "show off her body". Our bodies are not for show, they are temples of the Holy Spirit! They are for His use!

Archie is modest, he does not go shirtless, even for swimming. We almost always have the boys wear swim shirts when they go swimming as well. We never took naked pictures of the boys when they were babies or even let them run around naked outside of the privacy of the home when they were very small.

Modesty is not just an issue for women, its also an issue for men. Like I already mentioned, our bodies are not for show. I don't think its wrong to "dress up" for a special occasion, or try to look our best, but our bodies are not for the whole world to see. It is not a matter of "how much skin can I show and still be modest". It is not "how close can I get to the line and still be OK". It is however, "how can I set a good example for my children" and most importantly "how can I glorify God with my dress and with my body".

No comments: