Thursday, August 8, 2013

No sugar

I started cutting sugar out of my diet about 6 weeks ago. I have "cheated" from time to time, particularly when I was away from home. However, I am still eating far less sugar than I did before!

Sugar has always been an addiction of mine I think. I love sugar. Way too much! But its got to go. Its not good for me and it doesn't love me back.

When I say "sugar" I am referring to added sugar, refined sugar, processed sugar. I am not avoiding all carbs, though by avoiding added sugar, that cuts out a lot of carb consumption. I read the labels, I have learned the "other" names for sugar, and I avoid eating anything that has it. I do eat fruits and veggies that have natural sugar in them, I do eat some honey as well. I am also avoiding "fake" sugars as well. I don't mind the natural sweeteners like Stevia (my favorite).

I have struggled with my weight all of my adult life. I have pretty much always been about 20-30 lbs over weight, but when Silas got sick and we were eating out or having meals brought to us all of the time, well, that 30 lbs over weight turned into 80 lbs over weight. I think that continuing to cut sugar out of my diet will be an important part of moving towards my goal of being a healthy weight.

Of course there are other things that I need to do to reach a healthy weight. Drink plenty of water, exercise moderation in what I eat (even if its a healthy food, you can still eat too much of it), make sure that the foods I eat are healthy and not just empty calories, and of course, get plenty of exercise!

Exercise has been hard lately, I don't do well with heat! I suppose that is an excuse. The evenings have been quite nice lately though, I told Archie yesterday we should walk every evening at about 8 PM. It has cooled off some by then and is quite pleasant. In the past, I have always lost the most weight in the Spring and Fall.


No comments: