Saturday, August 3, 2013

Date night!

Archie and I have not had many date nights since the boys have been born. At least, not out. Most of our date nights have consisted of putting the boys to bed and watching Doctor Who together. Which is fine, the important thing is that we are spending time together.

Last night my sister-in-law showed up and very kindly offered to take the boys for the rest of the day! Archie and I jumped on the opportunity and went out on a real date! (We love you Amber!).

I recently had a conversation with the boys about dating. I told them its what married people do to stay connected and build their relationship. Of course a lot of the world has a different idea about dating. I am teaching my boys something different though.

Archie and I didn't date per se. We served together in missions, took walks together, participated in ministry together, had meals together, and spent a lot of time together with friends. We have told the boys that when they are old enough to consider marrying a girl, they should spend time getting to know her with her family and friends. They shouldn't pursue a relationship with a girl unless they have already seen something in her that makes them interested in considering her as a wife.

I pray for my boys future wives, though not as often as I should. Should they choose to marry. I pray for them too, that they will be good husbands and fathers. I pray that I will be a good mother-in-law. Every now and then I hear of one of those special relationships between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law where the daughter-in-law says "I love my mother-in-law so much, she is like a second mother to me!". I would love to have that kind of relationship with a daughter in law or daughters in law someday!

1 comment:

Karen Silva said...

I was greatly blessed to have had a dream relationship with my mother-in-law! She passed away 3 years ago but I would say that my relationship with her has been one of the most treasured gifts God has given me in my life. Words fail me in trying to express just how much I love her and all the beautiful things about her but one thing that stands out the most is that she was one of those people (they are few and far between) who loved me unconditionally. And not just me; she loved everyone that way. I miss her greatly and can't wait for the day to see her again in Heaven!!!! :) Thanks for sharing, Jessica, I love the way you are raising your boys to believe and think and how intentional you are about it!