Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Answering the phone

I read in a book once of a lady who, every time she answered the phone, said something like "Lord, whoever it is, whatever it is, help me to help".

What a great idea! I know I have, unexpectedly, received phone calls from people seeking advice or encouragement, sometimes it has been a very serious situation. Praying that quick little prayer, "Lord help me to say the right things to whoever is on the phone, whatever the subject of our conversation, help me to be an encouragement", seems like it would make a world of difference. Not only would it give me a different perspective, but it would invite the Lord to be part of the conversation.

One day I got an interesting phone call. I did not pray that prayer before I answered but as soon as I heard the question I shot up that prayer really quick!

~The man on the other end of the phone said "Is this the 'such and suck' crisis line?"

~I said no, I'm sorry, you must have the wrong number, what number were you trying to call? maybe I can look it up for you"

~He said "no, thats ok, I just needed to talk to someone. Can I just talk to you?"

~I said "I don't think I am the best person for you to talk to" (me being female) "but I can pray for you"

~He said "oh, ok, thanks"

~I prayed for him, that he would find the help he needs, that he would look to the Lord for the answers, and that the Lord would reach out to him.

~He said "thanks" and we both hung up the phone.

Now I don't know if that was a person that was really in need, seeking someone to talk to, or if it was just some guy making prank phone calls. But I really believe that the Lord gave me wisdom that day when I prayed that prayer.

Lord, whoever it is, wherever they are, what ever the subject is, help me to help, and to offer encouragement.