Thursday, June 28, 2018

What am I here for? Part 2

I am here to seek God's kingdom, and His righteousness first, I am here to share the gospel with others....

3. Pray. God has made a way for us to communicate with Him and He hears us, this is such a gift! I won't go into a lot of detail about my personal calling to pray in this post, but you can read about it here. Prayer isn't just a way for us to tell God things or ask God for things, it is a way for God to do His work in us. It is such a blessing!

Matthew 6:6 "But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father, who sees in secret will reward you openly."

4. Praise God! Not only should I praise Him because He loves me, and has saved me from sin with His own blood, but I should also praise Him continually because He is worthy of all praise! I was made to praise Him and in doing so I find fulfillment. I can praise Him in song, in dance, in work, in the way I live. There is a song from my childhood that sums it up...

In my life Lord, be glorified, be glorified.
In my life Lord, be glorified today.

Revelation 4:11 "You are worth O Lord to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and by Your will they exist and were created."

Psalm 150:6 "Let everything that has breath praise the LORD, Praise the LORD!"

5. Rest. With the health struggles I have had over the past few years, physical rest has become something that I have to do now. I talk about this here. Regular time for rest is an idea the Lord came up with when He created the Sabbath! He knew we needed rest! We function better when we take the time we need to rest. There is another kind of rest too though, resting in the Lord. Resting in the knowledge that He is in control, that He is working for my good, and that He loves me no matter what.

Matthew 11:28 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden light."

If I am so busy with the cares of this world, if I am so busy doing things, even good things, that I am not taking time to rest and listen and learn from the Lord, then I am missing out on what is most important. My physical limitations are teaching me a lot and I am learning to thank God for them, (though I still hope to be well one day).

Continued in part 3

No comments: