Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Healing

I know what it means to be healed. When I was 17 I developed chronic tendonitis in both wrists, first the left, then the right. I had to wear braces on my wrists and took lots of ibuprofen (a regret now, even though it was prescribed by a doctor at the time). This went on for 10 years! I wore my braces often, took my ibuprofen, and had to take frequent breaks from writing, dishes, folding laundry, etc. I also prayed for healing. When I was 27 years old, I was pregnant with Jason, and at a women's retreat, when I realized that I was healed! I still have weak wrists, but no more need for braces or rest for sore wrists. It has been almost 13 years since then and I can't even remember the last flare up! I am not sure why God chose to heal me, perhaps so I could write, perhaps because I asked, I don't know, but I praise Him for it!

I have seen others healed of many things. I have seen people defy all odds and recover from serious injury and illness. I have also seen a different kind of healing, where God took my son home to Heaven for ultimate healing, where he will never suffer anything again.

Sometimes though, suffering isn't relieved. Not here anyway. Sometimes pain goes on and on until a person leaves this earth. We are never promised a life free of pain and suffering, nor are we promised happiness and roses every day of our lives. This doesn't mean we shouldn't pray earnestly for healing, I do think it means we need to trust God with when and how He heals or doesn't heal.

What is more important than physical healing, is spiritual healing. Entering into a right relationship with the Healer of our sin sick souls, the One who can take away our sins and set us free. While He doesn't always heal us physically on this earth, we are promised ultimate healing one day in Heaven. Whether or not He chooses to heal us physically on earth, has everything to do with His ultimate goal of bringing about our good and His glory. I have to trust that everything He does is for this purpose.

So really, whether I am physically healed or not in this life should not be my main concern. My main concern should be worshiping the God who created me, living for His glory, doing what He has asked me to do. He knows my limitations. When I feel my burden become heavy, I must ask, what I have picked up from this world, what do I need to put down, because His yolk is easy and His burden is light.

No comments: