Friday, June 8, 2018

An hour of prayer

Many years ago, when I was 20, I felt a strong calling from the Lord to prayer. As believers, we are all called to prayer! The scripture is full of examples of prayer and instructions to pray. Everyone has different things they are called to. I felt like prayer was something the Lord especially wanted me to be faithful to, but I wasn't.

I've always prayed daily. Always shooting up quick prayers about everything, but never devoting myself to serious, lengthy, deep prayer.

Recently, our church created a new prayer ministry. We have a room dedicated to prayer. People in the congregation can sign up to pray throughout the week and spend an hour of prayer there. There are lists of people and ministries to pray for, a place to kneel, a desk, a rocking chair, and printed scriptures. I signed up for an hour a week and committed to be there at the same time each week.

It has been 6 months or so now and my life has been changed! I find myself singing praises as I drive to the prayer room, and as I walk in the door. I sometimes kneel, sometimes stand or pace, sometimes sit, sometimes rock. I look over the lists of prayer needs and pray for them. For salvation, for jobs, for healing, for expecting mothers, for missions, for church staff, for ministries in the church, for my husband and children, for my friends and family.

I always take my bible and a prayer journal with me. I write out many of my prayers! I really feel like there is something special about writing out my prayers. I look back on past prayers and write in when I see answers. Some prayers I have prayed for years and still see no answer, others are answered swiftly. Some prayers are answered in ways I would have never expected.

When my son Silas was sick, I struggled to pray. My prayers were short and simple, "please heal Silas", "please take his pain away", "God, please help". I often felt during those months that I didn't know how to pray or what I should pray for. One prayer I will never forget, I prayed 6 years ago (the day he was diagnosed with cancer), "God, I don't want to lose him!". Not in an audible voice, but very clearly I heard Him answer me "You can't lose him, no matter what happens". I knew that whether he lived or died, he would be safe. If he lived, he would be with me and grow up with his brothers, if he died, he would be safe in Heaven with Jesus waiting for me. I couldn't lose him.

After Silas went to Heaven, I didn't know what to pray at all. I praised the Lord when Silas took his last breath. His pain was over and he was healed forever. After that though, I did not pray much for months. I would still shoot up the occasional "Lord help me!" but I really didn't know what to say to God. I wasn't mad at Him, I was grieving and I was at a loss for words.

Since then, the Lord has slowly been teaching me how to pray again. This prayer room ministry has been so helpful in that process! I find that I am more mindful to take everything to the Lord, not just during my weekly prayer hour, but throughout the whole week! When I leave the prayer room after my hour, I find I am either singing praises, or continuing to pray as I leave. I find myself praying much of the rest of the day! These days, when I stop and just listen, there is a song of praise going through my head.

When people ask me to pray for them, not only do I pray for them almost immediately, but I also ask the Lord to remind me to pray for them, and He does!

I am so thankful for this prayer ministry, and even more, I am thankful that God has made a way for me to come before Him in prayer! Praising Him, thanking Him, sharing my life with Him, interceeding, and making requests. What a privilege! What a joy!

1 comment:

CJones said...

What a testimony of His patient, steadfast love! Much love to you, Jessica.