Wednesday, June 27, 2018

What am I here for? Part 1

The Westminster Catechism begins with the question...

What is the chief end of man?

and the answer is...

Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.
________________________________________________________

Why am I here? What is my purpose? What am I supposed to do with my life?

I am fairly confident that most people ask these or similar questions at some point in their lives. I know I have! In fact, I have probably asked these questions a number of times throughout my life so far. As a believer though, I think the questions should be a little different...

What is the Lord's will for me? How can I glorify God with the life God has given me? 

After all, I have accepted Jesus as my Savior, He paid for my life with His blood, I belong to Him!

Recently during a church service I wrote down a list of 8 things I know God has called me to. Some of them He clearly showed me a long time ago, and some more recently. I have wrestled with what order these things should go in, but no matter what order I put them in, it doesn't seem quite right. So in no particular order, here are some things God has showed me.

1. Seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness.

Matthew 6:33 says "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

This was the verse that God gave me for 2017. A verse to focus on for the year, to meditate on.

I should be seeking things that are of eternal value such as a right relationship with the Lord, sharing the good news of Jesus with others, teaching my children about God and His Word, studying the Word myself, and fellowshipping with other believers. I shouldn't be worrying about things I need or want. God knows what I really need, and He will provide. So much of what I worry about, does not have eternal value. I need to lay all that aside and trust the Lord.

2. Share the Gospel. 

Matthew 28:19-20 says "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.

Mark 16:15 is similar, "And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature."

When I was 17 years old I really wanted to go on a missions trip with Teen Missions International. I was praying about it and ready to send out my application. I wanted to be sure though, so I asked the Lord to show me from scripture that this was something He wanted me to do. Only moments later I looked up, and hanging on the back of the door was a sweat shirt with Mark 16:15 printed on the back! I sent out my application the next day. I went to Australia with Teen Missions that Summer of 1995 and it had a huge impact on my life! I committed to serve the Lord with my life during that time, and while I have not always been faithful in that, it is still in my heart to serve the Lord with my life, and He has been faithful to keep working on me. (Phil. 1:6).

Sharing the gospel should be something I am intentional about. Knowing God, and having a right relationship with Him matters more than anything else in this life. I should be sharing with people I know, and looking for opportunities to share with others. Sharing with people about my Savior should be something I have a passion for!

To be continued in the next post.

No comments: