Sunday, July 18, 2010

Asleep in their beds

Tonight is the second night we've attempted to put Silas to sleep in his own bed. (Actually, Jason and Silas are sharing a bottom bunk). Last night he only stayed asleep in there for an hour, I hope its longer tonight!

When Michael, our oldest was born, we had in mind for him to sleep in his own bed from the get go. After all, ALL of the books tell you that its far safer for babies to sleep in their own beds! Fortunately my parents were staying with us the first week we had Michael home with us and they assured me that it could be perfectly safe for him to be in our bed. (I heartily believe this to be true, but will point out that there are safe ways to co-sleep and unsafe ways).

About 3 months before Gideon was born we moved to a new apartment and set up a bed and bedroom for Michael. He continued to share our bed until just a week or so before Gideon was born when he suddenly got out of our bed one night, walked to his bedroom, laid down in his bed and went to sleep! He pretty much slept in his own room ever since! He was about 2 1/4 years old at that time.

When I was pregnant with Jason I had in mind that it was time for Gideon to move to his own bed as well. He was not as willing as Michael had been but after about a month of Archie laying down with him until he fell asleep in his own bed, he was fine. He was about 2 1/2 when he finally started sleeping in his own bed.

Ah Jason. I was pregnant again and again wanted the toddler to move out of our bed. Jason was not willing. Archie and I both tried for ages to get him to sleep in his own bed. He'd always get up and come in our room, sometimes after an hour, sometimes half way through the night. Even after Silas was born he never stayed in his own bed. He was just getting to where he would occasionally sleep in his own bed for the whole night...and then we moved, cross country! This totally upset his whole life. He was 3 1/2 at the time. We've been here in Georgia a year now and once in a while he'll sleep the whole night in his own bed, but that is probably only once every couple of weeks. I'm trying a new tactic with him now. I'm staying in his room until he's asleep. He still comes in our room but last night it wasn't until 6 AM. I think that is progress. He'll be 5 next month and I'm really hoping he'll finally get the hang of sleeping in his own bed.

Silas has never been too afraid of things but he seems a bit nervous about sleeping in his own bed. If you ask him about it he'll tell you he won't do it. Last night was the first try. I nursed him to sleep in his bed with his plush duck under his arm and a Thomas sheet over him. He went to sleep after about half an hour, but just an hour after that he was awake and wanted to come to our bed. Tonight, again, I nursed him to sleep in his own bed. It only took him about 20 minutes to fall asleep this time. Right now he's snoring away and he's been in there for 30 minutes. I'm really hoping he'll be able to stay in there at least half the night, but we'll see. He just turned 2 last month, so if he starts sleeping on his own he'll be the youngest of his brothers to do so.

Well, they are all asleep in their own beds, for now. I'd better get to sleep in my own bed before they wake me up.

God bless, goodnight.

No comments: