Monday, December 30, 2013

Reading the Bible

My Grandmother Golightly read through the Bible each  year. I remember when we visited she always took the time to read, no matter what else was going on. She knew how important it was.

When I was 12 years old I rededicated my life to the Lord at Summer camp, and at 13 I told the Lord that I would read through the whole Bible by the time I was 18. I didn't quite finish by my 18th birthday, but I did finish reading through the whole Bible about a week after my 18th birthday. And let me tell you, I am NOT a great reader! I do enjoy reading, but it is a challenge for me, and was even more so as a teenager. I have read through the whole Bible a couple of times since then, and have always made it my goal to read at least a little of it every day, but I have not made it a practice to read through the whole Bible each year.

2 years ago I was doing a 1 year through the Bible reading plan. I was doing well and had kept up with it all the way until February 7th. That day Silas was admitted to the hospital for a biopsy and a few days later, his first dose of chemo therapy followed by a blood transfusion. I kept up with my Bible reading the first few days of the 10 day hospital stay but then I got off track. I continued to read my Bible most days but did not keep up with the 1 year through the Bible plan. This past year I read often but not every day. The past few months my goal has been 2 chapters a day.

This coming year I am going to give this plan a shot. I really like that it has a make-up day! https://www.bible.com/reading-plans/71-come-drink-live-365

God's Word, the Bible, is so very important, it is where we read the Words of God to us. Even if you don't have a particular plan, I would encourage you to read the Bible daily! Invite the Holy Spirit to open your eyes and speak to you through God's Word, it will change your life!

Don't have a Bible? There are many websites and apps for Bible reading! http://www.biblegateway.com/

If you want a paper Bible there are many churches out there that would be happy to give you one for free! Check with a church near you!

No comments: