Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happiness isn't the point

I have recently realized that happiness isn't the point. It shouldn't be the goal of our lives to attain it, nor should it be our focus in life.

The point of our lives should be to love God with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength, to praise Him with all that is in us! That is the point, that should be our goal, our aim, our focus. Rather than running after happiness, I should be running after God, seeking to live my life in worship of Him, resting in His peace, love, and forgiveness. I should be soaking in His Words in the Bible and lifting up my voice in praise for His mighty works!

Happiness is nice, it feels good to be happy, but the lack of happiness in our lives doesn't mean that something is wrong. Bad things happen, unspeakable evil exists in this world, people die, children die, we hurt each other, and we suffer pain. There are times in our lives where we cannot even remember what it was like to be happy, but that's OK as long as we still have joy! It is OK to NOT always be happy!

I am not always happy, but I do always have joy. Deep joy, that comes from knowing God and having peace with Him. That joy that comes from knowing that everything is in His hands and all will work out better than anyone can imagine. I know deep in my soul that God is good, that He loves me, and that He is working everything out for the ultimate good of everyone who believes. I have such deep joy knowing that in the end, everything will be set right and I will be with the Lord in Heaven for all of eternity.

This year will be Silas' best year ever, He is with Jesus in Heaven! I don't know what this year has in store for me, but I know the Lord has not forsaken me. He will be with me and will guide me through whatever comes. Happiness comes and goes but the closer I stick with Him, the more joy there will be through it all.

Joy to the World

Verse 1
Joy to the world! the Lord is come;
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare him room,
And heaven and nature sing,
And heaven and nature sing,
And heaven, and heaven, and nature sing.
Verse 2
Joy to the world! the Saviour reigns;
Let men their songs employ;
While fields and floods, rocks, hills, and plains
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat, repeat the sounding joy.
Verse 3 
No more let sins and sorrows grow,
Nor thorns infest the ground;
He comes to make His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found,
Far as the curse is found,
Far as, far as, the curse is found.
Verse 4
He rules the world with truth and grace,
And makes the nations prove
The glories of His righteousness,
And wonders of His love,
And wonders of His love,
And wonders, wonders, of His love.



1 comment:

Bev said...

Such wise words, Jessica. Thank-you for this simple and uncomplicated truth.
Bebba