Wednesday, April 1, 2009

School

Just 5 weeks left!

I think I pushed Gideon a little too hard the first half of Kindergarten but have relaxed for the second half. I have to remind myself that he doesn't have to be reading at a second grade level by the end of Kindergarten and that he doesn't have to keep up with everyone else. He can learn at his own pace and that's totally O.K. I'm not saying he's behind, he's just not ready for some things yet. I think Gideon is really good at math. He seems to like it better than other subjects. He often surprises me with things I didn't know he knew, using big words correctly, and asking very good questions.

Michael always amazes me. I quizzed him on some things I wasn't sure if he knew about or not, and sure enough, he did! He knew way more about plants than I thought, and the solar system. He picked up a book about the human circulatory system and then drew a picture and labeled the different parts. All without any instruction! I didn't even suggest he look at the book! He's been saying he hates writing all year but when we were at the grocery store today he wrote his own list. I can definitely see an improvement from last year. I think the trick with Michael is to get him to do school work without him knowing its school work, that seems to work best for him.

Jason is starting to come out of the terrible "2's", now that he's 3 1/2! He's very articulate and VERY energetic. He's starting to listen a little but still tends to run the opposite direction when I call him. I actually managed to get him to pick up nearly all the toys he pulled out of the closet, it may not seem like much but that's a major accomplishment! Hopefully I can get him to start picking up on a regular basis. (yeah right!).

We've been on a lot of field trips this year. We've got a couple left to go. I'm looking forward to going on new and exciting field trips in Georgia. There are several other states nearby as well so there should be lots of interesting field trip opportunities in the future.

Well, I'm up too late again. Tomorrow is library day. Goodnight.

No comments: