Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Weight loss/health gain update

I have struggled with my weight for all of my adult life. I weigh the same now as I did when I was 17!  I can fit into my favorite jeans from  when I was 17, only I hate the style now! Still though, I would like to lose a few more pounds. I am not aiming to be skinny but I would like to be a healthy weight, something I haven't been since I was a young teen. Well, I did drop down to the healthy range in my early 20's but then I started having babies and have not seen a healthy number since.

I have always loved sweets. I think I get it from my Golightly side of the family. To this day, sugar is my biggest weakness! Although I eat a lot less of it than I used to, I still eat more than I should.

So. I'm going to see if I can keep up some blog updates on my progress. Maybe one post a week or so.

I have lost a total of 56 lbs from my highest weight (May 2013). In 2013 I only managed to lose about 3 lbs. It was the worst year of my life and I was not focusing on my weight or health at all. 2014 I managed to lose 37 lbs. I dealt with some health issues including a gallbladder removal surgery in December and that led to virtually no exercise the first 3 months of 2015. However, I have managed to lose 16 lbs so far this year and I am now working really hard toward my goal of losing a total of 20 lbs in 2015. I think it is a reasonable goal, however, I have always had a hard time reaching my goals in a timely manner.

My exercise plan is to walk 20-25 miles a week (I track this with a pedometer on my phone), and to do strength exercises 3 days a week, including kettlebell swings, leg raises, dumbbell lifts, squats, plank rows, and other various exercises. This is the third week of doing this routine and I feel like it is making a difference. I have not seen the scale move much yet but I am starting to feel a little stronger and my clothes are starting to feel a little looser.

My eating plan is to fill up on lots of protein and veggies and eat as little junk as I can manage. I would love to not eat any junk, but I am not that strong yet. I do find it easier to pass on the junk when I am full of the good stuff. I don't count calories, its too much work. I am trying to focus on eating at certain times of day and not snacking in between. I am also trying to stop eating before I get "full". If I stop eating before I feel full, I find that in a short time I do feel full/satisfied.

I do take vitamins and supplements. Nothing for weight loss though, only for health. I do drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. I am trying to get plenty of sleep, but I have sleep issues so I don't always get the sleep I need, I am working on that.

Most of my walking is done outdoors. I feel like this is really beneficial. I think exercising outside is a huge boost for the mind, body, and soul. I frequently talk to the Lord when I walk and admire His creation. Michael and I walk together once a day and listen to J. Vernon McGee teaching through the Bible.

Anyway, that's where I am at right now. Hopefully posting these updates will help me stay motivated and accountable! I am also hoping it will help motivate others to take steps towards being healthy too!

No comments: