Friday, May 16, 2014

Love your brother!

Little brothers have a habit of annoying big brothers from time to time (and sometimes all the time), this has certainly been the case in our home! Jason seems to take great pleasure in annoying his brothers at times. Sometimes he does not like the results though.

The other day Gideon was really struggling with wanting to "whack" Jason as he put it, because he was "driving him crazy". So I said to Gideon, how about this, every time Jason annoys you, give him a big bear hug and say "I love you". He thought this was a great idea. Yesterday he started implementing it!

All day long I heard Gideon's voice "I love you Jason", over and over again. Jason seemed rather perplexed by all of this love. Later I overheard Gideon saying to Michael "you really should try this! It really works!". I was so proud of Gideon :)

I am not sure Gideon realizes yet that it is his own heart that is changing towards his brother, not necessarily his brother's behavior, although I think that will change too. A little positive attention from his big brother will encourage Jason a lot I think.

I have always told the boys, you could potentially be each others best friends for life. I have also told them that if they can learn to get along with each other, then they can learn to get along with anyone. Dealing with their brothers is preparing them for dealing with everyone else out there in the world. What a blessing to have brothers :)

No comments: