Friday, May 23, 2014

Gluten, emotional eating, and receiving comfort from the Lord

It has been about a month since I started my gluten free diet. I have still occasionally eaten grains but they are few and far between. No gluten though. I think I've been pretty good about keeping down the cross contamination too. I have not noticed any difference in how I feel. I don't think that means anything necessarily but I think I was expecting to notice something. I have had about the same number of "crampy" days as usual, 2-3 a month. I have been strict too, no gluten at all. I read somewhere that if you are gluten sensitive that any amount of gluten is harmful, there is no such thing as a "low gluten" diet. I also read that for women with endometriosis who want to try gluten free to see if it helps relieve cramping, they should go gluten free for 2 months, then eat a piece of bread. If it makes them sick, then they are gluten sensitive and should continue on the gluten free diet. If it does not affect them at all, then they are probably not gluten sensitive and a gluten free diet is not likely to help their endo symptoms. Hmm. Maybe I will go another month and try the piece of bread and see how I react. I am curious.

During this last week or two, leading up to the 1 year anniversary of Silas' going home to Heaven, I have been more emotional than usual. There have been a few days that I could hardly get myself to do anything. Some days taking a walk is the only thing I get done. I have walked though. I have eaten healthy foods, but I have noticed that I am eating more than I need to. Even though the foods are healthy, doesn't mean I can stuff myself silly with them. I need to work on that. I need to be turning more to the Lord and not food, not even healthy food, for comfort.

The Lord is giving me comfort, He is strengthening me. I can feel His presence right now. I need to accept, lean into, and receive His comfort. I cannot get that kind of comfort anywhere else.

If you will, pray for us over the next few days. We miss Silas.

No comments: