Monday, April 28, 2014

Made a decision

I have known about the gluten free diet for a long time. Many people are sensitive to gluten, including in my own extended family. From what I understand sensitivity to gluten ranges from mild with no obvious symptoms to serious, as in the case of celiacs disease.

In my case, I have no obvious symptoms, I do likely have endometriosis. I say likely, because I have not had surgery to confirm it. I have the classic symptoms and have been told by 3 or 4 different doctors that it sounds like I likely have it, but it would take surgery to confirm it since you cannot see it on scans and there is no blood test for it.

Anyway, in my efforts to eat healthier and be healthier, I started wondering if there was something that could help with the endometriosis (for those who don't know, it can cause debilitating pain, something I have experienced off and on throughout my teenage and adult life). I found an article about a study showing that 75% of women who suffered severe pain from endo noticed a decrease in pain after eating a gluten free diet for a year. 75%!! That sounds like its worth a try to me! If you know how awful endo pain is, you understand how exciting this is!

So I started reading about eating gluten free, and have decided, based on my research, to cut out grains as well as gluten. I have not had any gluten (that I am aware of) since Thursday. I have not cut out grains entirely yet but I have cut back and plan to wean myself off of them as I develop a healthier diet for myself.

Our family has always been somewhere in the middle as far as healthy eating goes. Some people eat a perfectly balanced, all organic, locally grown, free range, non-processed, fresh diet. Some people eat processed cheese food product, soda, drive through, processed, preserved, food colored diet. We land in the middle (Archie says closer to the first than the latter).

The boys have noticed the change in my eating, it definitely affects them. I eat differently, so I prepare meals differently, and what I buy at the store is different! I am not bringing home "junk" like I have in the past. Michael complained to someone at church the other day "I can't even remember the last time I had soda!" I have to say, he meant it as a bad thing but I was so happy that it had been so long he couldn't remember! And yes, we did talk about the fact that he would be much better off if he never had soda again.

Although the boys are reluctant to give up some of their favorite "less than healthy" menu items, I think that overall they are eating healthier now that I am. And Archie too :)

I have to keep reminding myself why I really want to eat healthy. It is not to lose weight, or to avoid disease, it is not to have more energy, or to live longer. The reason I want to eat healthy, is that it is part of glorifying God with my body. He gave me this wonderful body to use for His purposes. It is a Temple of the Holy Spirit. I want my body to be fit for His use! Not that other reasons are bad, but to glorify God is the only reason that really matters.

No comments: