Friday, April 18, 2014

Looking for a healthy alternative

Every year that Archie and I have been married (except last year), I have made a cake to celebrate our "family birthday" on our anniversary. I am really making an effort to eat healthier now though and I don't want a cake that is full of sugar. I am also avoiding dairy since it doesn't like me.

So, what to make to celebrate. I found a coconut flour pound cake that is sweetened with honey instead of sugar. That looks like it might be a good option for a treat. The recipe makes a smallish cake too, so probably not much in the way of leftovers after its split between the 5 of us. I could smash up some strawberries to go on top too, but what about whipped cream? None for me. I could just do regular whipped cream and not have any myself. I have tried whipping coconut cream before but not had good luck with it. I could give that another try though.

I also thought about making meringues. Light and crunchy and almost like eating nothing, but they taste good.

I haven't talked a lot about my efforts to eat healthy and lose weight lately, but I've lost almost 10 lbs (not quite) since the beginning of March. I am happy with this, but I still have a long way to go. I really think I can get there. I have a whole new approach this time than I've ever had before. This time around I am not focusing as much on what I eat (though I do my best to make healthy choices and choose organic whenever possible), this time I am focusing more on building my relationship with my Lord, and turning to Him for comfort instead of food. Turning to Him for everything! Food fuels my body, it doesn't comfort me, or listen to my problems. Food doesn't love me. Not that its wrong to enjoy what I eat, and celebrate special occasions with yummy food, but food should never be what I live for or what consumes my thoughts.

So I am not counting calories (OK, well I do once in a while, but only for a day at a time to see if I am on track). I don't have strict lists of good and bad foods. As far as how I eat, I aim for plenty fruits and vegetables, I still eat meat but not every day, no obvious dairy (since it doesn't like me), whole grains, less sugar (I haven't eliminated it entirely but I generally avoid it), plenty of water, and I avoid anything prepackaged or processed. I also try to eat smaller portions and not over eat. I read once that "normal" people stop eating when they get to a 6 or 7 on the "fullness" scale. In the past I have often eaten to an 10 or 11 on that scale every time I ate. I'm trying to stop at that 6 or 7 mark (because usually 20 minutes or so after I stop eating I feel completely satisfied).

I'm not legalistic about it all but I am doing my best to make healthy choices. With so much information out there about what to eat and what not to eat I think its impossible for anyone to know exactly what I should eat! But I'm doing my best and more importantly, I am doing my best to listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit. He knows what I should eat and when, and how much! I don't always listen to Him perfectly, but I am listening more.

The thing is, God doesn't want me to struggle with my weight, obesity, or food addiction. He has a better plan for me, and now, I'm seeking that.

No comments: