Thursday, October 3, 2013

Papa Chuck

Pastor Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel moved, he went home to Heaven today.

I remember hearing him say "One day you will read the headlines 'Pastor Chuck died today', but don't you believe it!" He moved out of this world and went home to Heaven.

Papa Chuck, as he was affectionately known by many, served the Lord with all of his heart. He showed us so many things about the Lord and His Grace and Mercy toward us. Pastor Chuck took us through the Bible chapter by chapter and verse by verse. He also was an example to us in other ways, picking up trash in the church parking lot or stopping to pray with someone no matter how busy he was.

I remember meeting him as a 16 year old at church camp. He was talking with another pastor and I didn't want to interrupt so I stood nearby and waited. After a minute or so he noticed me standing there and stopped the pastor who was speaking to him saying "Hang on a second, let me talk to this young lady here". He was a genuinely happy, loving, godly man. I am pretty sure the boys from the camp got in big trouble for pushing Pastor Chuck into the swimming pool that year, but he came out with a smile on his face!

He will be missed, but I am so happy for him, he is in the presence of the God he served so faithfully, surely singing praises at the top of his lungs with hands lifted high, and I know that is exactly where he wants to be.

No comments: