Thursday, July 25, 2013

Math on the go

Its a 40 minute round trip to swimming lessons. Yesterday I took full advantage of this time and we worked on math! We worked on skip counting and the boys did rather well!! Better than I expected. They knew more than I thought they did!

Jason is my real math kid. He really has a head for it. He so often blurts out things like "64 + 64 is 128 isn't it?". Then I say to myself "That's what you've been thinking about for the past few minutes while you've been so quiet???" He is constantly dividing things by 3 as well, so as to split things evenly between himself and Michael and Gideon.

When Michael and Gideon were very little we used to count trees, cars, flowers, etc. while we took walks in the mornings. It was a lot harder to take walks once Jason was born. Still, he picked up basic math concepts with very little help from me. Most of the math he has learned he figured out himself.

I have always tried to teach the boys "everyday math". Measuring for cooking/baking, measuring their height, measuring things around the house, dividing food servings, dividing toys, timing things, counting down, etc.

They don't have it all down, but we still have some time left, my hope for each of them is that by the time they leave our house, they will be prepared for whatever they do in life. May they each leave here with however much math they need! LOL.

No comments: