Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Homemade cloth diaper


I did it! This is the first cloth diaper I've made! I used a soft flannel receiving blanket for the inner and outer layers and I used a cotton prefold for the soaker layer. I put in velcro to fasten it.

Overall I am pleased, I need to get the hang of doing the elastic part though. I did one side just right but the other side was a little too loose.

This diaper isn't waterproof but I have the PUL to make some that are. On one hand I can't wait to cut into it but on the other I am nervous about cutting into something that isn't just scrap fabric. It wasn't terribly expensive but more than I usually pay for fabric. I'm sure it will be worth it though. A friend told me I can probably get 6-8 diapers out of the PUL so I am going to measure carefully and try to get at least 6. I'll have to post a pic when I get those ones made.

This one took me about an hour to make (though I was interrupted a lot and from the time I started till I finished was more than a day). I think now that I have a better idea of what I am doing I can make one in less time. It used to take me about 2 full hours to make a baby sling but now I can probably make 2 in an hour. It's just a matter of having an uninterrupted hour to make them!

P.S. Don't you love those baby thighs!

No comments: