Monday, October 30, 2017

POTS

Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. Although I only heard the term recently, I have had the symptoms since my early 20's!

In a nutshell, it means that my heart beats too fast when I stand up. So when I stand up, my heart may beat as fast as someone who is running a marathon! This means that I am always tired. I wake up tired every morning, I feel tired all day, and I go to bed tired at night. I also have digestive troubles, brain fog, and whole body pain that seem to be associated with this. Some days are better than other days, and I seem to have periods of remission (especially when the weather is cooler and pleasant), but some days, getting out of bed is nearly impossible. Hot weather, showers, hot water, sugar, carbs, big meals, and standing up are my enemies. Salt, fluids, smaller meals, light exercise, my bed, and chairs are my friends.

I still have a lot to learn about dealing with this. Part of me is relieved to finally know what is wrong, and part of my is frustrated that there isn't a quick fix. I think I am making progress though.

Right now my plan is to...
Take it easy when I need to.
Be more consistent with my exercise.
Stick to a low carb, high fat diet.
Increase my salt intake.
Drink plenty of fluids.
Learn what affects my heart rate by continuing to monitor it throughout the next year, making note of what seems to make it better or worse (weather, temperature, activities, food, etc.).

So be patient with me. I might misread your email or text, you might have to repeat what you say to me. I might not make sense, forget to finish my sentence, or use the wrong word, (Thinking and talking while standing can be a challenge when my heart is racing). I might have to sit down or lay down often throughout the day just so I can function. I might look healthy, but my body is not always working like it supposed to.

I know that God can be glorified in this, and that is my greatest desire. Be glorified in my life Lord!




No comments: