Monday, February 10, 2014

Happy Birthday Gideon!

11 years ago today I had the flu. Yuck. At least I think that's the last time I can remember having the flu! Hopefully it won't catch up with me again anytime soon.

I woke up about 4 AM and my back was really hurting. I couldn't sleep. I was 39 1/2 weeks pregnant with my second child. I had asked them not to tell me the gender but when I watched the ultrasound I was pretty sure I was seeing boy parts.

Anyway, I took a hot shower hoping it would make my back feel better. I realized I was having contractions as well. After I got out of the shower I started timing them, they were coming every 4-5 minutes. I was a little nervous because we were 45 minutes away from the hospital where I was supposed to deliver. My first labor had been 13 hours but I had always heard second babies came faster. I called the nurse and she told me to eat a light breakfast, try to relax, and keep timing the contractions. She said if they got closer together to head to the hospital. By 7:30 they were about every 3 minutes. I was so afraid it was a false alarm, I had a lot of those with my first baby. I felt sick and hungry. I told Archie that if it was a false alarm I wanted to go out for pancakes before heading home. My sister was staying with Michael, and it was Archie's day off, a Monday.

We arrived at the hospital about 8:30 AM. I was already tired and my back was still hurting. I got checked in and sure enough, I was in labor! My contractions were regular and strong and I was 3 cm dilated. I was a little disappointed, I was hungry and they wouldn't let me eat. I did manage to sneak in an apple but it didn't fill me up.

Hours and hours later, about 5 PM I was only at 5 cm and was feverish. Gideon's heart rate did not seem to be handling the contractions as well anymore, they told me that he and I were exhausted. My Doctor wasn't on duty, but the doctor who was came in to see me. She walked in and said "Well, lets give you some pitocin and if you haven't progressed in the next couple of hours we'll prep you for a c-section". Whoa!! What an introduction! I was NOT happy. I did not want a c-section or pitocin. I was so exhausted though (remember I had the flu and a fever), I let them give me pitocin. Things progressed quickly from there and just before 9 PM it was time to push. I only pushed for about 3 minutes and at 8:54 PM Gideon Elisha Edenfield was born. Weighing in at 9 lbs 12 oz. and 21 inches long! Even though he was smaller than Michael had been at birth (11 lbs 4 oz.) Gideon had a bigger look about him.

As soon as we were both cleaned up and resting comfortably I begged Archie for food! I hadn't eaten all day! Giving birth is hard work and giving birth while having the flu is REALLY hard work! I was starving. There wasn't much open that time of night but Archie found a grocery store that was open late and bought me a sub sandwich, which I devoured.

They kept us in the hospital for a few days since I was so sick and to make sure my fever was just the flu and not a brewing infection, we went home on Thursday evening.

Monday, a week after he was born, we went for a check up and they discovered that his belly button was infected...so back to the hospital we went. He had IV antibiotics for 48 hours and then we were finally home again. I cried when they told me he had infection, not only was I worried about him, but I was still sick, and sore from a small tear I got while giving birth. Being in the hospital on a roll-away bed was so uncomfortable. I was so glad he was OK though!

One quick funny story from when Gideon was a baby. I was sitting at the desk with my back turned to Gideon who was on the floor on a blanket. He was about 3 or 4 months old. I heard a funny grunting noise, it was almost a happy grunting noise but it didn't sound normal. I turned around and there was Michael, sitting right on top of Gideon and Gideon smiling and grunting with his big brother sitting on him! (Michael was about 2 1/2 at this point).

I love you Gideon!

No comments: